Friday, March 27, 2009

Making Whoopie!

The school is having a bake sale on Thursday, and I think I am going to make Whoopie Pies. I've never made them before, but I think the kids will like them. I found this recipe in "The Best Bake Sale Ever Cookbook" by Barbara Grunes


Whoopie Pies


Chocolate Cookie Dough:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temp
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup milk
2 cups all-purpose flour


Marshmallow Filling:
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temp
3 cups powdered sugar
3 cups Marshmallow Fluff
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly spray or grease 2 cookie sheets.
2. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the butter, sugar, baking soda, and baking powder until light, about 2-3 minutes. Mix in the egg, vanilla, and cocoa. Slowly beat in the milk alternating with the flour, beating until smooth.
3. Drop the dough by the tablespoonful onto the prepared cookie sheete, spacing the cookies 2 inches apart.
4. Bake in the center of the oven for 7-8 minutes, or until the cookies spring back when gently pressed. Cool on the cookie sheets for 2 minutes, then remove to wire racks to cool completely.
5. Make the filling. Combine the butter, sugar, marshmallow cream, and vanilla in a food processor and process until smooth. Or combine the ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth.
6. To assemble the whoopie pies, spread about 2-3 tablespoons filling onto the flat bottom of one cookie. Place a second cookie on top. Repeat with the remaining cookies.

For the life of my, I don't understand why you would use a food processor for the filling. I think I'll use my Kitchen Aid. I'll let you know how they turn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment