Monday, April 13, 2009

Fanny at Chez Panisse


I ordered this book, and it came while we were on vacation. Alice Waters, founder of Berkeley's Chez Panisse, wrote this charming book from the voice of her daughter, Fanny. The illustrations are adorable, and there are recipes included in the back. One idea from the book I'm going to steal, is creating a tee pee with bamboo sticks and letting beans grow up the sides. I think the boys will love hiding out, and being able to eat while in there.
I think Alice Waters is such an inspiration. I bought a DVD of PBS: American Masters, which featured her. Every time I watch it, I feel inspired to eat and cook better. Watching her talk about the"hamburger mentality", the idea that those that eat the same things everyday, close themselves of to great experiences. Something wonderful comes their way, and they miss it. It is the philosophy I am teaching the boys. And they are great eaters. Someday I hope to eat at her restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment